MEXICAN QUINOA SKILLET

A friend of mine tipped me off to this fantastic recipe at http://damndelicious.net  It provides that COMFORT FOOD taste AND it is totally healthy for you (a rare combination)!! This recipe is super quick and easy to make!!  It is definitely going directly into my 5 star recipe box and I will be freezing single portions of it for my busy day quick hot lunch!!

 


In a large skillet place:
1 tablespoon olive oil  (I use canola oil)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 seeded and chopped jalapeno (see note below)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion  (my tweak)
Saute for a couple of minutes or until the onion starts to smell sweet, then add:
1 cup quinoa
15 ounce can drained black beans (I use kidney beans)
1 cup vegetable broth
14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup corn  (I used frozen)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounce can diced mild green chiles (my tweak)

Stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes:

Turn off the heat and add:
1 peeled and diced avocado
Juice of 1 lime  (I left this out)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I left this out)

Toss and serve immediately.


NOTE: I left out the jalapeno because I'm a little shy on spice-heat. I substituted a 4 ounce can of diced mild green chiles...it was perfect and full flavored. If you like a little heat with food, by all means include the mild green chiles AND the jalapeno pepper.

NOTE: Quinoa is a high protein grain that is VERY healthy for you and is an excellent addition to anyone dealing with diabetic issues.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Yummy Food Recipe Copyright © 2011-2012 | Powered by Blogger